Homemade Cream Soup

Starting in the Fall, and all throughout winter, I get really into making soup. My favorite one to make is Cheddar Bacon Soup, but tonight I am trying (for the first time) Cream of Potato Soup. The best part is that I have found a "base" recipe to use for all my soups - All I have to do is swap out any veggies and meats to change it up!

Cream of Whatever Soup
(makes enough for 6 large bowls)

Ingredients:
1/2 stick butter, unsalted
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
4 cups (approx) any veggies
4 cups vegetable/chicken broth
1 pint heavy cream (or ½ and ½, or whole milk) 
Spices (I usually use parsley, oregano, basil, garlic powder)
Salt and Pepper
1/2 cup flour (for extra thickening)

Directions:
1. Melt butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until soft (about 10 minutes).
2. Add 3 cups broth and veggies to large pot. Stir occasionally until veggies are cooked. Add onion.
3. Add cream, slowly, while stirring. Season with any spices, salt and pepper.
4. Use remaining 1 cup of broth and whisk in flour. Slowly add to pot while stirring.
5. Bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered for 15-20 minutes.
6. Let cool. Use an immersion blender (or stand mixer) to blend until desired consistency.
7. EAT!

I've used this base many times for broccoli cheddar soup, as well as cream of celery, and cream of cauliflower soups. I also made cream of chicken and rice, buy using 1 cup carrots, 1 cup celery, 2 cups cubed chicken, and a small package of quick cook rice.

For tonight's Potato Soup, I grated 6 baby carrots to the mix of potatoes and cooked onion. I added 6 strips of cooked and crumbled bacon along with 2 cups of cheddar cheese. Next time I would definitely double the bacon!! But overall, this was a success, and between two of us, we almost finished the whole pot!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reefkeeping Overview

Bottle Cap Magents - What Hasn't Worked

Painted Bottle - Pinterest Idea