The First Day of Spring!

It's the First Day of Spring and I feel down. There's no real reason I should feel this way - it is actually a decent day outside. The recent snow has melted, flowers are starting to bloom, and the grass is getting greener everyday.

I do think it might have to do with the monotony that's been my life the past few weeks. It's the same exact thing every day; wake up and go to work, come home and take care of the dogs, clean up around the house, maybe make dinner, go to bed and repeat.

My wonderful fiancé has been working very long hours for the past 8 days - over 100 hours last week. He should have had a day off today, but he went in to be prepared for the next two weeks, which will be another period of late nights and weekend work. Not that it's his job or responsibility to entertain me, please don't misinterpret what I'm trying to say!

As I sit here at my cushy desk job, I just wonder if there's more I should be, could be, doing. I went to college, but don't use my degree, nor do I have any desire to (ugh, computers). I've always felt that my job is a means to an end. I have bills to pay and I need to make money to do so. As I've progressed in my administrative support career, I've become less and less part of a team. I work primarily on my own, in my small cubicle, away from the windows, waiting for my next assignment.

It's much different from my fiancé who works as part of a team of employees and customers to accomplish specific projects. They sometimes celebrate together after a big win, and pull pranks on each other in the office when things sometimes slow down - I just don't get those kinds of warm fuzzy feelings at work.

That's ok though, I do believe not everyone can love (or even like) their work. The down side is that because I am not part of a team, or part of something exciting at least some of the time, I find myself willing the day to pass faster. I count down the hours until I go home, or count down the days until the weekend. In the end, I feel like my life is just passing me by, and I'm actively wishing it to pass by faster.

It's time for a change! There are so many things I wish I could do, or wish I had time for, but "work" and "life" get in the way. Really, it's just an excuse... I mean really. I have a room full of craft supplies that I plan to tackle over the next few months, so at least I can be somewhat productive in my free time. I'll have something physical to show for my time, rather than moving one stack of papers to another stack, like I currently do at work.

I'm hoping to get a sense of accomplishment, and stop feeling like I'm wasting my time. Hopefully I learn along the way too!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reefkeeping Overview

Getting Things Done - It's Time for Yard Work

Hello 2017